Wednesday, November 27, 2013

My First Polaroid Camera

Such an excitement to have purchased a second hand camera from Amazon!



I admit that I somehow felt skeptical about purchasing this camera and there's a notion of uncertainty when you are purchasing online, and when it's a second hand item too. I have to go through countless reviews before setting on one particular seller in Amazon. And the result? I am satisfied with the product despite having few scratches on it. Plus, it functions well too! 

It was a great deal for this pre-loved item. The film are expensive though. But i'm aiming for a film pack per month, which means I will have to be extremely careful on what i'm taking, the composition, lighting etc. Each film (not film pack) will cost around 2.13£, equivalent to an estimation of RM10.63 per film. Sucks right? But it also teaches you to be super appreciative of it. Unlike our digital cams now, where we can just make mistakes and over and over again.

But since this is the first time I tried on an instant camera, it takes a while before I can get used to the functions. The first few photos I took was a disaster! The lighting were bad, thinking that the aperture were somehow the same as a digital cam. Bad mistake! I took the first one without flash and it was a huge mistake. It came out looking really dark and I could hardly see my face. (Yes, the first one was a selfie) The second and third one was taken using flash, but it turns out real blur. I didn't understand why, but I supposed it's because of my shaky hands. 

I read the manual over and over again, but couldn't find any reason why. Until one day I started experimenting again. I was tweaking with the lighten and darken dial, though I only used the lighten function. Things looked washed out when it's set to lighten and again, it's still blur! I re-read the manual again, only to find out that when I'm using close-up function, it have to be at least a distance of 2ft (equivalent to 61cm). Ugh! Not so close up after all. I've wasted 2 films experimenting on the lighten function and a normal function, and another one where I finally got it right! well, at least. It was so heartbreaking to have wasted 2 films just like that, but I figured out that I have to start somewhere right?


I used up the last 2 films taking outdoor pictures and it turns out beautifully. And i'm just glad that I did all those experiments despite how heartbreaking it is. (Damn! it was 2.13£ per film!) Nevertheless, I am still learning. :)



Cheers


Copyright © halie2406 All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment